Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Glamourous Life of a College Lacrosse Coach

So, I realized today that there are just three to four weeks of our season left and I haven't yet blogged about this lacrosse season. That may just be because it has been absolutely insane. Or maybe because I am emotional about the fact that my first recruits are seniors. Or maybe because I am just lazy. Anyhow, there are three weeks left and I can't let the time pass without sharing a bit about what has gone on. This year we were told we could no longer rent indoor space for practice. I moaned and groaned and spent November, December and part of January dreading and anticipating freezing to death. January came and it wasn't so bad. Like, I could totally handle this. We bundle up, ordered some cold gear and played lacrosse outside. January was actually kind of lovely and my awesome team of girls made it not so bad. Check this pic out... one of them even made ear warmers for every girl on the team...
The team with all of their adorable ear warmers from Abbie. 
We even had some nice days thrown in the mix. On Valentine's Day I decided we should head to Dunkin Donuts and try the brownie batter donut. This is a pic from that fun outing.

Spring Break...15 hours in.

Before we knew it we were on Spring Break. We had already had some scheduling issues because of weather in St. Louis so we were anxious to get heading South. We had a long couple days of travel to get to Savannah, GA for a day of games. This is the team just 15 hours into the trip. Still smiling.

If you may have gotten a little disillusioned into thinking this sounded so simple here's the real truth. Just 24 hours after that picture was taken things got a bit shaky. We were on that bus heading 5 hours to our house in the mountains when something went a little wrong. The bus sounded like it was going to break down and we weren't sure if we would make it to the house. AWESOME. 6 pm on a Saturday night. Stuck in small town Georgia. Well good thing there is a God and an awesome bus driver named Bill who drove us VERY slowly all the way up to the mountain to our house. We arrived late. But we arrived.  A bus full of cranky, tired and sore lacrosse girls helped unload the bus at 1 am on the world's longest, steepest driveway and our North Carolina vacation began.

The next morning we awoke to pure beauty. This is the view from our deck.

After a day of exploring in the mountains we came to find out our bus was very sick. And needed work. The next day we found out it actually needed to stay in North Carolina. So, as we enjoyed the mountains for an extra day while this bus got worked on at the Ford Dealership in Asheville. This was the scene when I went to clean out the bus and rent two vans to drive home. Glamourous I tell ya. Just glamourous. 

However, our vacation was awesome. The house and surrounding area was beautiful. These pictures are in super chaotic order. Some were taken on a sunny day. Some were taken on a rainy day. All were around the house. All were near where the Hunger Games were filmed. It was good times. Enjoy. 

We finally went to town on the last day. This was the road to town. Jessie and I ran it for seven miles and enjoyed every minute of it.

That's our season so far. This post is about as chaotic as our season has been. See, glamourous, right?

No comments: