Thursday, January 12, 2012

Vegetarian, Healthy, and the Boy Likes it...Score

A while ago Tom told me I could start making whatever recipes I want and he would try anything. Although he said this I was still not convinced. He's pretty much a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I kept making him pulled pork and potato skins while longing to try some healthier vegetarian recipes. A few weeks ago I made a vegetarian skillet that he enjoyed because I put some beef on the side for him :) This time I decided no frills. I made a straight up healthy vegetarian meal...and it was a success! He loved it. Gave it an A-.

Here's the recipe from Skinnytaste.com with some slight alterations of my own:

Zucchini Enchilades

Ingredients:
For enchiladas:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsbp Garden Gourmet garlic
4 tbsp Garden Gourmet Cilantro
2 medium zucchini, grated
1.5 cups reduced fat mexican cheese blend
5 medium flour tortilla
For Sauce:
1 tbsp Garden Gourmet garlic
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup fat free vegetable broth
some splashes of hot sauce (my special addition)

1. Make enchilada sauce by first sauteing garlic in spray butter or oil. Then, add all ingredients and heat to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Take off heat and set aside until ready for use.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking pan with non stick spray.
3. For enchilada filling: Saute 2 tbsp garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add grated zucchini. Mix in cilantro and allow everything to cook together for 5-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pull off heat and mix in 1/2 cup of cheese.
4. Fill each tortilla with mixture and put seam side down in baking pan. Pour enchilada sauce on top cover with additional 1 cup of cheese. Cook for 20 minutes.

Seriously, peeps, these were delectable.

Enchilada Mixture- this isn't all, I had started filling tortillas when I took the pic

Enchilada Sauce

Filled Tortillas ready to be topped

Topped with Sauce and Cheese

Delicious and Ready to Eat
I just told Tom I was making enchiladas so when he cut them open and saw the green stuff he asked, "what is that?" I said not to worry about it, but he insisted he know what he is eating. He still enjoyed it :) These are significantly less fattening because they are filled with veggies rather than cheese or meat. Yum, yum, yum.

No comments: