Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

This past summer I went down to Flagstaff, Arizona to visit one of my very best friends and enjoy one of the greatest vacations ever. We ate, drank, shopped, relaxed, and camped/hiked. The highlight for me was a trip to Utah with Megan and her boyfriend. It was a truly incredible experience. The views were amazing and we were in an extremely remote part of the country.
When I saw previews for the movie 127 Hours I knew I had to see it. The pictures caught my eye because it looked so similar to the place I had hiked this past summer. I went to see the movie shortly after it came out in St. Louis and I loved it. If you aren't familiar, it is the story of the man who got trapped by a boulder in a Utah canyon and proceeded to cut off his arm in order to live.
I was so obsessed with the movie that I then read the book Between a Rock and a Hard Place. This is Aron Ralston's own account of his time in the canyon. Both the movie and the story have been on my mind. I find the story captivating and inspiring. I would encourage anyone to see the movie AND read the book.

Below are some pics I took in the canyon. Again: it was incredible. The pictures do not do it justice.









1 comment:

Les said...

Kate I've heard of this movie. I don't know if I have the stomach to watch it though....sometimes high intensity situations in movies makes me nauseus. But anyway I love the pics of the canyon, and I love your blog. Oh and I love you!