Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Guess you might call me a people person.

First thing tomorrow morning I am going to my advisor to set my first semester of grad school classes. A year ago I was taking pre requisite courses so I could get into a grad program for exercise science. The courses I sign up for tomorrow will be for counseling. Crazy how things can change in a year. When it's all said and done I don't think I will actually be a counselor, but I will have more information. I am fairly confident that the information I gain just might change my life. 

Here's the deal. I love people. I am through and through 100 percent a people person. I love meeting new people, keeping up with old friends, helping friends, mentoring kids, and just being someone others know will be there. And I absolutely hate letting people down... letting people down is the worst. I would almost rather be let down over and over again than know I have disappointed someone else. Perhaps that's what you call perfectionism or a people pleaser. I am not sure at this point, but I think I will probably learn sometime in my counseling courses. And from those courses I hope to learn to love people better. I hope to learn how to handle those I love when I truly disappoint them. I hope I learn how to confront and talk to people about the hard things. 

I think I will love it, but that's not the point. I don't think I will ever be a counselor. But I think you can call me a people person and I hope all those people that mean so much to me can benefit from the information I gain as a graduate student pursuing a degree in counseling. So, game on. 

No comments: