Friday, March 27, 2009

When the rubber meets the road.

This week I went to Big River Running Company and bought a pair of these:

First of all, they were a great running store. They are super friendly and customer service is top notch. Second, my old running shoes were hurting my feet and I needed a new pair. So, I bought these pretty blue running shoes with just the right amount of support. With my new shoes and this:
I headed out for my run this morning. It was a breezy fifty degrees, but I was excited about my route and the prospect of conquering twelve miles solo. In college I had the best running partners in the world. We had the exact same running stamina and it just worked. This current running situation... not quite as easy. I have found a few great running partners and especially enjoy running with Kelli and a certain little Gingerhead, but I don't have anyone committed to the mileage I need to commit. Because see I started this whole distance thing by fluke, but in November I will be heading here:
to run in the New York City Marathon. I am pretty stoked about that. It's my second marathon. I ran Des Moines in 2005, so, you see, it's been a while. I am doing most of the training alone (unless someone else wants to join) and I am doing the marathon to raise money for Team for Kids.
Here's my next point: I would LOVE if you wanted to support my endeavors. I need to raise $2,500 to participate in the NYC Marathon. Team for Kids is an organization that works to combat childhood obesity in New York City and around the country. If you are interested in learning more about the organization you can go here:
If you are interested in donating to the cause, you can go here:
I will keep you updated on the training! Let me know if you want to join for a run.
PS. The run this am went well. A little pain but I finished in 1 hour 45 minutes which is under 9:00 miles.

1 comment:

Heather Verweyst said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! I'd be happy to get to 4 miles without stopping....I am not the worst runner but by no means am I ready for rubber meeting the road for more than 12 or even more than 20 miles...I will however donate money for the cause! Much love and admiration runnin your way ... hahaha GOOD LUCK!!! I will be thinking of you at the Des Peres Lodge doing the normal things like an elyptical, a track, and some free weights... KISS!!